MyCity Eats and Entertainment Tampa

MyCity Eats and Entertainment Tampa
Your #1 Local source for Dining and Entertainment here in Tampa, FL! We'll be posting about a lot of local restaurants and eating events that you'll really want to be aware of! Check out our main site at searchmycity.com

Monday, April 13, 2015

Summer Wines

So, who is ready for another sizzling summer? Although the weather has been amazing, we all know how HOT it's going to be soon. I don't know about you, but I am thinking BBQ's, beaches, and bikinis. With the arrival of these summer hot days, I find myself craving lighter and more refreshing white wines, because they are crisp, chilled, and a lot less dehydrating than reds.

I know that at most of our summer gatherings, the table is packed with food right off of the grill, easy to cook, but challenging to pair with a great wine.

Chardonnay is a great summer wine - its strong, oaky notes allow it to stand up to the rich tastes of grilled foods better than most wines. Its flavors also make it a fantastic partner for fish with a butter sauce, or sweet grilled corn on the cob.

Sauvignon Blanc is another great summer wine - it goes so well with grilled vegetables. A classic Sauvignon Blanc has little or not oak, and its acidity can stand up to a wide range of cooking methods, such as smoking, charring, steaming, or even raw dishes. It refreshes the palate, and makes those grill flavors shine through even more.

Pinot Grigio is a very well known Italian variety of wine. I love it on any hot day. Please don't always pick the Santa Margarita because of its popular name. There are so many more delightful choices out there. I tend to like an Italian Pinot the most, but recently I tried the King Estate Pinot Gris from Oregon, and now it's one of my new favorites. I just love trying new wine!

Rose is my number one pick for this summer - they are some of the most versatile, food-friendly wines around. This savvy pink wine has been mistaken as a White Zinfandel (starter wine) which is overly sweet. This is not the case. Rose is made primarily from red grapes, and the skins are allowed brief contact with the grape juice to give it the pink tint. The longer the juice is left with the skins, the darker the pink it will become. Rose is the perfect wine for a picnic, BBQ, or an evening on the patio. So, with surf and turf, chips and dip, hot dogs, or even burgers, you can't go wrong with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment